From Bob McManaman (Arizona Republic):
Right-hander Brandon Webb said if Diamondbacks executives are preparing to approach him about restructuring his $8.5 million contract option for 2010, they ought to save their breath.
He’s not interested.
Webb, who hasn’t pitched since Opening Day because of an injury to his pitching shoulder, said Tuesday that he is not willing to pitch for less or re-do his deal based on incentive clauses.
The Diamondbacks haven’t indicated their plans to Webb, the National League Cy Young winner in 2006 and the runner-up the past two seasons. But there has been speculation that they might ask him to restructure his pay because of his shoulder. He underwent arthroscopic surgery last month.
“No. I’m not interested in doing that,” Webb said. “If it comes down to that and they ask me to do something like that, I would have to – just for myself – see what else is out there and see if there’s something better.”
If the Diamondbacks don’t exercise the $8.5 million option on Webb, 30, they must pay him a $2 million buyout. He then would be free to test the open market this winter. He said he’d like to stay with the team, but if money becomes the issue, he knows he can get it elsewhere.
If sinker specialist Brandon Webb becomes available on the free agent market, then he would definitely garner interest from a number of teams. According to Buster Olney, the Yankees would be one of the many clubs willing to offer Webb a healthy one-year deal. He also lists the Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, and White Sox as other potential suitors.
Barring any setbacks, Webb is expected to be ready for spring training after completing a throwing program over the fall. The D-Backs have until 5 days after the World Series to either exercise Webb’s option or buy him out. We can only hope that they choose to buy him out—a dumb move when you consider the meager savings—so that the Yankees can actually consider him for a spot in their rotation.
(props to MLBTR)