From Marc Carig:
As you’d expect in a champagne-soaked celebration, the Yankees were quick to hand out credit to others on Sunday afternoon. Take, for instance, Alex Rodriguez, who bestowed MVP honors on at least three different guys.
“You could say Joe Giradi has been our MVP,” Rodriguez said. “He has been phenomenal.”
He continued: “Mark Teixeira, he’s like a four-star general. He’s just an unbelievable player. I’m so proud to be this teammate, Derek Jeter as well. Both guys should be MVP.”
Jeter’s presence atop the lineup has ignited the offense. Teixeira’s blend of power, run production and defense has been invaluable. Girardi should get plenty of credit for his approach to rest and preventing injury. And Cashman should be lauded for the mix of talent he has pieced together.
I asked this question back in August, and the poll to the right suggests that Jeter is the most popular choice. However, a legitimate case can be made for Teixeira, Sabathia, Hughes, Rodriguez, Rivera, and others. Here is my short list:
1. Jeter- has been the team’s best and most consistent hitter.
2. Teixeira- provided the punch to this lineup, stabilized the infield defensively.
3. Sabathia- best pitcher, beat Boston 4 times.
4. Rodriguez- team turned around when he returned.
5. Rivera- the one weapon other clubs cannot match.
6. Hughes- stabilized the set-up role, should be huge factor in October.
What does your list look like?