Winn had a career down year last year, sporting a career low 75 OPS+ and a career low .318 on base percentage. However, this year and his down year in...
According to a report via ESPN, “a baseball source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick” that “[Scott] Boras and [Johnny] Damon are trying to engage the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds as possible alternatives” to the Yankees. Though the Tigers-Damon connection is not new – Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated...
- “If I took steroids, I could dunk. Never mind baseball, I could play in the NBA.”
- “I don’t know if steroids are going to help you in baseball. I just don’t believe it. I don’t believe steroids can help eye-hand coordination [and] technically hit a baseball.”
- “There is no evidence andro does anything bad or good.”
- “If you want privacy go play semi-pro ball. drug use hurts baseball. Why should we pay millions of dollars to these guys and have them go on the disabled list?”
- “Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy.”
- “I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period.”
- “Who would do the testing? Will results be kept private? Or will they be leaked to the media? What about false positives? You think it’s going to be confidential? I laugh at that.”
- “Steroids don’t help you hit a baseball.”
- “I have never used steroids, human growth hormone, or any other type of illegal performance enhancing drugs..”
- “The national past-time is juiced.”
- “My body was torn up and broken down but it felt good [on steroids].
The common line is that right now, the Yankees have about 2 million dollars left in their budget for the 2010 season. I think that this is entirely plausible. Hal Steinnerbrenner gave Brian Cashman a hard number, and said that he would have to approve any spending over that number. He did so last year...
[image title="20090603-rdogs" size="full" id="14456" align="center" linkto="full" ]
AOL Fanhouse writer Frankie Piliere recently ranked baseball’s farm systems, and the Yankees came in at 15:
15. New York Yankees | Players in Top 100: 4
The Yankees have plenty of depth. What they don’t have right now is a great deal of impact talent behind Jesus...
Over the weekend Alex Rodriguez received the Babe Ruth Award for his dominant postseason. Alex hasn’t received much attention for winning an award meant to celebrate the best player in the playoffs, but he should have, and...
[image title="1stbirthdaycake" size="full" id="14430" align="center" linkto="full" ]
One year ago today, The Yankee Universe opened its doors (we actually had a soft opening on the 24th, but the official start was the 26th), with the goal of becoming the best Yankees blog on the internet. One year and one cease-and-desist letter later, TYU is still...
[UPDATE: What I tweeted long before this posting:
A's must be afraid of big bad Michael Weiner. Gotta spend that money. Mets outbid again. First Molina, then Sheets, then Saab.
A tweet complete with a dig at the Mets and a Saab sale reference...]
Yes, we can all joke that Sheets will be gone mid-year, or on the DL. Your best jokes below, please. Let’s hear ‘em!