I’m happy to be filling in for Andrew Marchand and Wallace Matthews this week. A bit about me: I am the founder and lead writer of the ESPN-affiliated SweetSpot Network site, It’s About The Money. You can follow me and my writers on Twitter.
It’s December 27th and the New York Yankees are still waiting to hear from Andy Pettitte. The final two rotation spots will, as of right now, be filled by the likes of Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre. Like most of you, these options don’t fill me with confidence, though we’re not hitting the panic button just yet.
The free agent options for the Yanks are dwindling fast, with Brandon Webb signing with the Rangers yesterday. Webb, once a Cy Young winner, is now just another pitcher recovering from a serious shoulder injury. And shoulder injuries, unlike elbows, are much more difficult to return from.
So who could be a possible target for the Yanks to fill in the back end of the rotation? The choices aren’t inspiring.
(click “view full post” to read more
In a last minute call-up, I will be guest blogging on ESPN New York this week, filling in for Andrew Marchand and Wallace Matthews. I will be simulposting here as well, but make sure you guys join the comments section over at ESPN, too.
I’m open to topics and mailbag items, so don’t be shy!
The rest of the crew will be active here, at least as much as practical.
So let’s play a little “What If” here. Let’s pretend that the Yankees don’t make any more moves before the start of the season and decide to make a roster only out of the players currently on the 40 Man Roster. So, that discounts Jesus Montero. I considered making an exception since the plan for [...]
In his column yesterday, Ken Davidoff gave his Baseball Person of the Year Award to Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce. That’s not what I disagree with. Despite a monumental mistake made by the latter, both of them showed a great deal of class and dignity moving forward. What I disagree with is what Davidoff suggests [...]
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named didn’t sign with New York, Zack Greinke was traded to the Brewers, Matt Garza probably won’t be traded within the division (I don’t think you want him anyway), Carl Pavano is the best free-agent left but won’t come back to New York, and Felix Hernandez will not be traded to New York. Oh no! What will the Yankees do? It’s okay. I’m here to show you why.
The “Team Total” is the number of wins added by the players over replacement plus the number of games that a replacement-level team would theoretically win (48). Anyone not in the table that played for the Yankees last season accumulated 0 fWAR +/-0.1 and were not worth putting in the table. Let it also be known that this was not “scientifically” done and should be taken as a rough estimate.
(click “view full post” to read more)
Greetings from a snowy Sunday in suburban NYC. Here’s some reading material in case you’re favorite NFL team is not play, playing poorly or you just want some baseball stuff to nibble on during halftime:
- Mark Prior out to pitch in for Yankees (NYDN) We can allow ourselves to dream, right? Just a once-big name in a smaller role.
- Report: Yankees mull Manny (NYDN) No thanks. No room, either.
- FBI files on Steinbrenner released (MLB.com) Interesting stuff if you were into knowing what your government was spending their time investigating back then
- Yankees are keeping an eye on Brandon Webb (RAB) I would have little problem with a gamble like this.
- Bronx? Cooperstown? Questions for Pettitte to Ponder (NYT) With 240 wins (+102 over loss total), he makes an interesting case. High-ish ERA, but solid ERA+, post-season. But HgH admission hangs like a cloud. So do wins matter or are they overrated?
- Is Andy Pettitte a Hall of Famer? (HBT) A solid nomination for the HoVG for Pettitte from HBT.
- The Yankees best of 2010 (LoHud)
- MLB Christmas Lists (Platoon Advantage)
- What happened to Joba Chamberlain, starting pitcher? (Yankeeist)
- Yanks Interested In Jeff Francis (TYU)
- Don’t exclude steroid users from Hall (FoxSports)
- Hef engaged to Playmate 60 years his junior (NYDN) Just checking if you’re paying attention.
Who’s up for some sledding tomorrow?
Via a tweet from ESPN’s Buster Olney, our original suspicions were confirmed. The Yankees will not be adding Manny Ramirez this off-season. Heard this: The Yankees have no interest in signing Manny Ramirez. Jorge Posada will be the full-time DH, and they have three OFers lined up That makes all the sense in the world [...]
Recently I’ve been playing around with Baseball-Reference’s similarity scores, a tool designed to compare baseball players to other players with similar careers. I used the stat to try to forecast the next couple of seasons for some key Yankees. Somehow, amazingly, I forgot the single most important key Yankee: A.J. Burnett. As much as it [...]
My family all know that I’m a huge Yankee fan, so each year there’s a certain amount of Yankee-related stuff involved in the gift giving that heads my way. Generally speaking it’s stuff like commemorative T-shirts, sweatshirts, or a signed piece of memorabilia to display in the living room. The above recliner has yet to [...]