If you were waiting for the Ubaldo Jimenez trade talks to heat up, today was your day. Here’s a recap of today’s reports:
- MLB.com’s Peter Gammons says the Rockies are “looking for two prime prospects, along with one or two big-league ready players, including a starting pitcher.”
- SI.com’s Jon Heyman says the Rockies and Yankees match up well in an article on SI.com. But of course, our readers knew that already.
- Heyman tweeted this about Rockies 3B Ty Wigginton-“wigginton’s name came up in yankees-rox talk. could be good a-rod insurance”. The Rockies would probably like to move former 1st rounder Ian Stewart to 3B.
- Buster Olney reports that with Jimenez’s inexpensive contract through 2013, there would be high production at a low cost for any team acquiring the right-hander, with team control and very little financial risk.
- Rockies GM Dan O’Dowd told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the Rockies would have to be “absolutely overwhelmed” to move Jimenez. Renck goes on to say “The Rockies aren’t shopping Jimenez. General manager Dan O’Dowd told me directly that he has no mandate to move money, that he’s not looking to sell.”
- Jon Heyman had the biggest news of the day, the first reported trade proposal-“rockies name price for ubaldo: montero, banuelos, betances & nova. nyy will do montero plus other pitchers (not those guys)”
Use this thread to kick around trade proposals, explain to your fellow commenters why their proposal makes no sense but yours is fabulous, or whatever else you want.