- After having some strong prospect representation on Baseball America’s top 20 lists for the South Atlantic League and the Florida State League, the Yankees failed to have any prospects make the Eastern League or International League lists. This is not surprising, given the way players like Betances and Manuel Banuelos failed to impress this season and the Yankees’ general lack of exciting prospects in those higher levels this past season.
- George King had an interesting post about Ronnier Mustelier at Baseball America recently. He notes that while Mustelier has been very impressive with the bat, the Yankees main concern has been trying to find out where he fits. Mustelier has played second, third, left field and right field over the past year and, according to Mark Newman, has improved defensively. It sounds like the Yankees are trying to get him more comfortable in the outfield to better fit their needs. Mustelier is not on the 40-man but could be put on it next year. He is obviously older than most players in his situation, but he has been impressive. I hope he gets his chance in the Bronx at some point next season.
- The Dominican Winter League has just started up and you will find a bunch of Yankees getting some extra work in there. This includes outfielders Zoilo Almonte and Melky Mesa, shortstop Jose Pirela and pitchers Juan Cedeno, Kelvin Perez and Jose Ramirez.
- The Mexican Pacific League is also now underway. Mustelier joins outfielder Jose Figueroa, infielders Walter Ibarra and Ramiro Pena and pitcher Luis Niebla there.
- The Venezuelan Winter League will see a few prospective Yankees this season. Infielders Ali Castillo and Jose Pirela join outfielder Ramon Flores and catchers Francisco Arcia, Jose Gil and Gus Molina in Venezuela. Pitchers Pedro Guerra, Jon Meloan and Vidal Nuno are also slated to get some work done in the league.
- Finally, outfielder Darnell McDonald, RHP Ryota Igarashi and LHP Justin Thomas have all elected free agency.