So Joe Girardi had a press conference today, the final one of the 2012 season.
Nothing particularly earth shattering was revealed. There were no surprise ailments or injuries to key players. He also said there weren’t any nagging injuries that the coaching staff didn’t know about it. Apparently, the majority of the offense came down with a bad case of suckitis at the same time.
Some more highlights:
- Girardi said he expects all of his coaches to return so if there’s anyone who was hoping for a Kevin Long firing, sorry.
- CC Sabathia has not seen Dr. James Andrews yet. Sabathia was planning on getting his elbow checked out. Girardi said Sabathia is expected to be ready for Spring Training.
- Girardi also revealed that he has not spoken to Alex Rodriguez since the end of the postseason. Girardi added that A-Rod was totally healthy during the playoffs and that the plan is to have Rodriguez be the everyday third baseman next season. We’ll see about that one. I remember when A.J. Burnett was going to be in the starting rotation this season.
- Girardi was asked about Ichiro Suzuki and he said he isn’t sure the Yankees will bring Ichiro back but that he enjoyed being around him.
- He was asked about the lack of crowd noise during the playoffs and said that the lack of offense probably had something to do with it. Yeah, ya think? It’s not some massive conspiracy. The crowds were loud when they were scoring and quiet when they weren’t.
See? Nothing crazy to see here. I’ll admit I’m disappointed. I was convinced everyone on the offense contracted some weird illness that caused them to forget how to hit a ball. Oh well.