Things are happening in Tampa! Bullpen sessions are being thrown, PFP drills are going on and tons of pictures of Masahiro Tanaka are being snapped. And when I say tons, I mean it.
Here a few updates for you.
- In case you’ve been living in a cave, one of the biggest stories (which is ironic when you think about it) is CC Sabathia’s weight. He discussed his weight loss with reporters yesterday and told everyone not to worry, He also added that is amused by everyone’s reaction to his new body.
- Manny Banuelos is happy for the opportunity to show the Yankees what he’s made of in Spring Training. It’s been a hard two years for him since he had Tommy John surgery in 2012 and the 23-year-old says, “I want to work hard to get to the big leagues. If I don’t make the team here, try to get a call-up soon.”
- From Wally Matthews of ESPN NY: Teixeira in action: “A less-heralded event will take place in left field of the main ballpark at about the same time Tanaka is throwing, when Mark Teixeira, coming back after missing practically all of 2013 after undergoing wrist tendon surgery, goes through a solo workout. First he’ll work on defense with infield coach Mick Kelleher, and later in the indoor batting cages, which are off-limits to the media, with hitting coach Kevin Long.” Everyone, cross your fingers that Tex makes it out alive.
- More from Matthews: J.R. Murphy wants to be known as John Ryan Murphy. And please, don’t call him John. He doesn’t like that.
- As I mentioned above, the pictures of Masahiro Tanaka are aplenty but here’s a nice shot from Mark Feinsand’s Instagram account. You won’t see that on the Bad Spring Training Pictures Tumblr Account.
We will have more updates later as they come in.