How is this for weird? It was a mild sunny day here in New York and it was a rainy washout down in Tampa. It’s about time we got some weather bragging rights around here, not that it’s going to last because there’s another polar vortex on its way. Oh well.
Since it wouldn’t be Yankees camp without injuries of some sort, here are a couple of updates:
- Poor Alfonso Soriano has been battling a flu bug that’s so bad he hasn’t been able to do much of anything and he will be reevaluated on Monday.
- From Chad Jennings: Tyler Austin is dealing with a bum wrist. He will miss a few days. Nik Turley‘s arm is tight and Jim Miller is dealing with calf irritation.
- It was photo day and from what I’ve seen so far, there weren’t any bathroom shots like in years past. Those always amused me. You can see some of the shots here. And let’s have a moment of silence for the fact that this is Derek Jeter‘s last photo day.
- Even though he’s only caught him once and he was only pitching at about 60%, Brian McCann compared David Robertson to Braves’ closer Craig Kimbrel.
Some non-Yankee news:
- The Giants have invited Barry Bonds to be a guest instructor during Spring Training. But he’s evil and he may talk them all into doing steroids! (Just kidding!)
- The Orioles and Nelson Cruz agreed to a one-year/$8M deal.
There’s no baseball on TV but this is the last Saturday until November in which this will be the case. Hooray! For now, you’re stuck with basketball but at least you have your choice of contests. You don’t have to torture yourself with the Knicks or Nets because you have Syracuse visiting Cameron Indoor Arena at Duke. Should be exciting!
Or if that’s not your speed, the Olympics are still going on.
Anyway, be respectful to your fellow readers (as usual) and enjoy your night!