The New York Yankees are doing a great job of bolstering the hopes of the teams beneath them in the standings, allowing the Red Sox and Rays to beat them at home, the place that to paraphrase Madonna, “Used to be their playground.” And with the Blue Jays and Orioles politely waiting for the aging Yankees to keep up, the old team bends with hands on its knees and waves them on with a gasp for air..
Ah, there was a lot of pathos in that first paragraph, eh? The, “Eh,” is for our Canadian friends on their big holiday today. The Blue Jays already won on Canada Day, so enjoy a frosty beverage and enjoy the fireworks. Yankee fans, meanwhile, will watch the long, lanky, lefty pitcher (alliteration!) on the other team today and wonder how Brian Cashman can somehow pry him away without much to offer in trade value.
Heck, maybe the team will win tonight and blow some thrills the fans’ way. A blowout would be fun. When is the last time we had one of those? Umm…yeah…
Tampa Bay Rays:
- Desmond Jennings – CF Says to Molly waiting at the door…
- Ben Zobrist – SS
- Matt Joyce – LF A very hot hitter
- Evan Longoria – 3B Don’t call him Eva
- James Loney – 1B The Yankee killer
- Logan Forsythe – 2B Too formal a name for a scrappy guy
- Cole Figueroa – DH Whodat?
- Jose Molina – C The old wheezy will get his one hit of the week tonight. Watch
- Kevin Kiermaier – RF This kid is exciting.
P – David Price AKA: Some team’s savior.
New York Yankees:
- Brett Gardner – LF
- Derek Jeter – SS
- Jacoby Ellsbury – CF
- Mark Teixeira – 1B
- Carlos Beltran – DH
- Alfonso Soriano – RF
- Brian Roberts – 2B
- Francisco Cervelli – C No McCann boos for a night
- Yangervis Solarte – 3B
P – Hiroki Kuroda
Kuroda better pitch eight innings because the bullpen is really gassed. The game starts at 7:05 and can be seen on the YES Network. I’ll be watching from SUN down here in Florida so I’ll get the reverse bias. Here’s to a better second half!