A couple updates on the less healthier members of the 40-man roster:
– Mark Teixeira left last night’s game after the challenged play at the plate. He cut his left pinky finger sliding into home, badly enough that it required stitches. An MRI revealed no breaks though, so he will sit out today’s game and then be re-evaluated.
– Michael Pineda threw a side session at The Stadium yesterday and is scheduled for his next MiL rehab start this Friday. The team has said he will not be considered for David Phelps‘ spot on Friday, but could be after this next start. His targeted pitch count is 75-80.
– Masahiro Tanaka threw again on Tuesday as a follow-up to his 25-light throw session on Monday. This time it was 50 throws from 60 feet and the throws were a little bit harder than Monday.
– CC Sabathia‘s knee surgery last week revealed a bone spur, which was removed as part of the procedure. He said he’s confident that he’ll be able to pitch next year, but the doctors saying he has “almost no cartilage under his kneecap” is not a comforting statement.
– Jacoby Ellsbury bruised a finger in one of the games earlier this week. He’s playing through it and it doesn’t sound serious.