Author Archives: @Jason_IIATMS
Back to BigRed’s silliness (emphasis mine):
Last year Andre Dawson was the only player voted in by the scribes. Dawson was a fine player but a tad boring. Future induction ceremonies are going to be awkward when nice players are enshrined while folks such as Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds perhaps remain on the outside looking in. Is that what fans want? Where is the line as we cherrypick our way through the proven cheaters and guys who merely look suspicious?
Because this is the fifth paragraph in the article, the irony in the bolded sentence isn’t yet fully appreciated. Suffice it to say, BigRed draws that line in big red ink later on. What bothers me is BigRed’s assertion that because Dawson was a fine ballplayer but didn’t have a sense of panache, he’s somehow less worthy or not exactly celebratory. Oy. More exciting players, like Bonds and Clemens, would therefore be a better fit for the Hall, but they’re part of the “Steroid Boys”.…
IIATMS: Nolasco has been in the rumor mill for a while now and has reportedly been attracting a great deal of interest. Now, with his three year deal, he’ll be able to focus on remaining in FLA and less worrying about being traded. Was this deal more about security or more about Nolasco’s desire to remain in Florida, where clearly, there’s a bit of uncertainty about spending?
- MS: Nolasco’s deal was about both. He is very comfortable in Florida and believes the organization is going in the right direction. He also understands that he was still under team control for two more years, so the deal provides a nice guarantee for a guy who had a bit of a freak injury at the end of the year and understands the value of a guarantee. The security, combined with the comfort and familiarity of south Florida made this deal work.
Jay Jaffe had some back-and-forth with Heyman after Heyman’s initial tweet. Here’s the chatter:
- @jay_jaffe: Astoundingly affordable relative to market. RT @SI_JonHeyman: feliciano close to deal with #yankees. $4 mil a yr, 2 yrs plus, an option
- @SI_JonHeyman: @jay_jaffe there could be a buyout on 3rd yr option, not sure. so it could be worth a bit more than $8 mil. checking still. but i agree
- @jay_jaffe: @SI_JonHeyman understood
- @SI_JonHeyman: @jay_jaffe i figured you did. but i just wanted to clarify my tweet
- @SI_JonHeyman: feliciano #yankees deal, worth at least $8 mil, will be finalized today. now they seek set-up man for pen
I love me some Twitter.