Well, that didn’t go as expected. Coming into tonight’s game it looked as if there would be a good pitching duel going down in St. Pete but of course, that all depended on whether or not “super” Ivan Nova showed up. It turned out Nova was not so super. Nova went only four innings due to injury, giving up eight runs on eight hits – four of them were home runs. He was shaking his elbow in displeasure on the mound.
The bullpen didn’t pitch any better. The call up, Matt Daley, went an inning and a third giving up four earned on five hits. However, he only gave up one home run. Positivity, right?
Oh, and Dean Anna pitched. If that doesn’t make you realize this game was a dumpster fire, I don’t know what will. Anna surprising only gave up two runs in his appearance. His windup resembled that of a slow pitch beer softball league. His fastball was sitting in the mid 50’s.
As for the offense, the Yankees didn’t look comfortable at the plate at all. The entire lineup combined for just three hits and one run on the day.
- The Rays hit a home run in four consecutive innings
- Ryan Hanigan hit two home runs off Nova and drove in 6 runs on the day
- Wil Meyers also hit two home runs
- Noted above, Ivan Nova left the game with an injury. Bryan Hoch reports Nova has some elbow soreness in his throwing arm and will undergo tests (an MRI has been scheduled).
- Here’s a photo of Matt Daley.
- Chris Archer improves to 4-0 in his career against the Yankees. He went 6.1 IP and only gave up 1 run on 3 hits.
This is the Yankees’ second tough loss in a row. Let’s hope the pitching wakes up so they can string some wins together. Continue reading Doomed: Rays 16 Yankees 1