Welcome to the Home Run Derby Open Thread!
Things are going to be different this year. The derby’s now a single-elimination tournament, with three rounds.
Here are the contestants in the order of how they’re seeded:
- Albert Pujols of the Los Angeles Angels
- Todd Frazier of the host Cincinnati Reds
- Josh Donaldson of the Toronto Blue Jays
- Joc Pederson of the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Manny Machado of the Baltimore Orioles
- Anthony Rizzo of the Chicago Cubs
- Prince Fielder of the Texas Rangers
- Kris Bryant of the Chicago Cubs
Here are all of the details of the new and improved contest:
In each round, the better seed will hit second.
Each of the three rounds will consist of five minutes per batter, per round, with the time starting when the first pitch is thrown. For any home runs hit in the final minute, the clock will stop, and won’t start again until the batter either hits a ball that isn’t a home run or swings and misses.