There are 16 days until pitchers and catchers report to camp and in honor of #16, Whitey Ford, here are 16 things we can discuss in tonight's open thread. Some are Yankee centric, some are just general baseball and some aren't even baseball related.
- Mark Teixeira is worried about his wrist. In a story this morning, Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger writes that Tex expect a slow start and that it's possible that he won't feel right until at least June. Maybe this will lead to the Yankees signing a back-up first baseman?
- Chad Jennings wrote an interesting piece on PEDs.
- Andy Martino writes that the Yankees think Betances could be a late-inning reliever.
- Bronson Arroyo is still unemployed and doesn't understand how that's possible.
- Earlier we told you that A-Rod's court date was set (2/14/14). Well, MLB is seeking a dismissal of A-Rod's lawsuit. We'll see what happens.
- Speaking of A-Rod, Darryl Strawberry appeared on The Michael Kay Show and basically called all of the players who cry about steroids hypocrites claiming there were always drugs around that guys used to get ahead. Yeah, no kidding, Straw! You tell em!
- The Tampa Bay Rays are having their annual fan fest and to the chagrin of some fans will be charging as much as $125 an autograph for their more well-known players (Evan Longoria, David Price and Wil Myers). The money is going to charity but fans are still a little peeved.
- In case you missed the news yesterday, friend of the blog, Rob Neyer is leaving SB Nation and his future destination is unknown. We wish him luck wherever he goes.
- More news from yesterday: Brandon McCarthy who was struck in the head by a line drive in 2012 won't be wearing the new protective caps that were approved by MLB.
- Yuniesky Betancourt will be playing in Japan. He signed with the Orix BlueWave of the Pacific League.
- By now, you've all heard about how unprepared Atlanta and other cities in the South were for the winter storm they were slammed with yesterday. Well, it seems the Braves' Freddie Freeman wasn't prepared but things worked out for him because ex-teammate and future Hall of Fame candidate Chipper Jones came to his aid on a four-wheeler.
- My brother is going to be at Yankee Stadium for the NY Rangers/NY Islanders hockey game. He's wearing five layers. I hope it's enough.
- Speaking of weather and outdoor events, the high for Super Bowl Sunday is in the 40s. That's downright balmy compared to what the Northeast has been experiencing these past two weeks.
- Apparently, people have made a lot of silly David Price trade proposals. Here is a compliation of them from Deadspin (originally on Baseball Prospectus).
- Chad Tracy signed with two teams today. Yeah, I know.
- And finally, in order for the White House to take a petition on their site seriously, it has to have 100,000 signatures. Well, the petition to deport Justin Bieber now has over 100K signatures. Hooray, America!
Enjoy your evening! We will be recording an It's About The Yankees Stupid podcast tonight and will have it for you either later on tonight or first thing in the morning! You can check out our first few episodes on iTunes. Please listen and rate them. Thanks!