My old man is retiring today. Well retiring from the regular Monday-Friday grind to move on to a more relaxed and enjoyable work schedule. He's worked for Pepsi ever since we moved from Delaware to Connecticut when I was 5, and today is his last official day at the office. I work with a lot of older dudes at my company, guys who have been here for 25-30-35+ years and are well into their 60s, and they're the most stereotypical company "lifers" you could imagine. Bitter, beaten down, crotchety guys who only sound happy when they're talking about "the old days" way back when. A lot of those guys are friends of mine, so I don't mean this as a criticism of them, but I think it's pretty cool that my dad is getting out early, getting out ahead of that bitterness that seeps in when you've worked at one place for that long. He put his time in, he's going out when he wants, and he's moving on to do the things he wants to do. That's pretty damn cool. So here's to you, pop. As lame as it may sound, this linkaround is for you. Now onto the links!
- On Monday, Greg Corcoran of Bronx Baseball Daily reviewed the first week of the MiL season and highlighted the players who got off to hot starts.
- On Tuesday, Derek Albin of Pinstripe Pundits, inspired by Stephen Drew's big moment, looked into the history of Yankee pinch hit grand slams.
- Josh Heller of Pinstripe Alley made the case for Chris Young to take over the everyday right fielder job from Carlos Beltran.
- Christopher Carelli of Yankees Unscripted commented on the patient approach being taken by the Yankees with Stephen Drew and how that is the right way to go.
- On Wednesday, Mike Axisa of RAB mused on Joe's original co-closer idea and how it needs to be altered, but not completely scrapped, due to Dellin Betances' early command problems.
- El duque of It Is High... asked if we should start rooting for this year's team to completely collapse already. I know I'm not ready to do that yet, but what do I know?
- On Thursday, Wallace Matthews of ESPN NY had Brian Cashman's thoughts on the team's "shocking"ly poor defensive start to the season.
- Chad Jennings of LoHud discussed John Ryan Murphy's strong start to the year and the work he's put in to improve his defensive game.
- On Friday, Owen Watson of FanGraphs broke down A-Rod's hot start and where pitchers are winning and losing trying to challenge him with fastballs.
From the IIATMS team:
- On Monday, Matt pointed out the encouraging trend in the Yankees' team BB rate.
- On Tuesday, Scott lamented Beltran's poor start, hinted at the possibility of his done-ness, and examined the options to replace him in right if he truly is this year's version of Alfonso Soriano.
- On Wednesday, Stacey put CC Sabathia's second start under the microscope to find out what he did well and what he didn't do well.
- On Friday, Tamar profiled Jose Peraza, the top Atlanta prospect who the Yanks are reportedly interested in.
Going with one of the old man's favorites today, a little Zeppelin. Bask in it.
Enjoy your weekends, everybody.