I know the Subway Series is this weekend and the city is all abuzz about it because both teams are hot right now, but I want to take a quick break from that for a second to talk a little Rangers hockey. I love what I've seen from them so far in this opening series with Pittsburgh, love it. And I love it because they haven't even really played that well. I'd say Pittsburgh has probably outplayed the Rangers for 60-70% of the series thus far, and they're still down 3-1. At home, with a chance to close out tonight and get a little rest, and with their best playoff hockey presumably ahead of them is a great place to be. I'll be beer drinking and live tweeting that game tonight, so if you're a Ranger fan, feel free to join me. Now onto the links! - On Tuesday, Daniel Burch of The Greedy Pinstripes looked at what the 2017 Opening Day roster might look like if the Yankees built strictly from within and filled spots with their own prospects.
- On Wednesday, Jason Cohen of Pinstripe Alley argued for Carlos Beltran to be reduced to a platoon role against righties. Don't think there would be many who would offer a counter-argument at this juncture.
- Mike Axisa of RAB touched on the power that Chris Young and Garrett Jones have brought back to the bench this season. Good to see that again, eh?
- David Schoenfield of ESPN's SweetSpot mused on Bernie Williams' upcoming retirement ceremony and the somewhat desperate vibe it gives off in terms of the Yankees clinging to their past. I like Bernie, always have, but there's something to Dave's point.
- On Thursday, el duque of It Is High... revealed the not-so-serious but still hilariously accurate list of things that will happen to commemorate A-Rod tying Willie Mays on the all-time HR list.
- Chad Jennings of LoHud commented on Dellin Betances' improvement this week and got some quotes from Betances on what's been different for him these last few times out.
- Christopher Carelli of Yankees Unscripted wondered what will happen with the roster when some of the injured players are ready to come back. Not a bad thing to wonder with Pirela and Capuano back playing in ExST games.
From the IIATMS team:
- On Monday, I did the unthinkable and wrote a post about Alex Rodriguez and Barry Bonds TOGETHER. No, there are no steroid jokes in the post.
- On Tuesday, Stacey broke down CC Sabathia's latest and greatest start so far this season. More of these (posts and games) please.
- On Wednesday, William made the case for Chris Young to get more playing time. He deserves it as long as he's hitting the way he is.
- I looked at Nathan Eovaldi's strong start using only 2 pitches and mused on the possible reasons for the change in pitch mix.
Got some good hockey and Subway Series music for the weekend, a little "Sundown" by Fireball Ministry. Huzzah!
Enjoy your weekends, everybody. And if you're around on Sunday, I'll be doing another live tweetfest of the SNB game, hopefully with the Yanks looking to lock up a sweep. Follow me up on Twitter if you want to get in on the action. Reminder, the Yankees are undefeated this year when I'm watching live.