Even though the game I'm about to tell you about was five years ago tonight, I had no recollection of it at all. Getting old is fun!
Here are the facts:
- It was the Friday night game of the Citi Field portion of the 2010 Subway Series.
- The starters were Javier Vazquez and Hisanori Takahashi.
- Vazquez lasted six innings, gave up only one hit, walked two and struck out six.
- Takahashi also pitched six innings. He gave up five hits, walked one and struck out five.
- The scoring didn't start until the starters left the game.
- The Yankees scored their two runs in the top of the seventh against Elmer Dessens.
- Nick Swisher started the inning with a single.
- Francisco Cervelli reached base on a throwing error and advanced to second while Swisher advanced to third on the play.
- Kevin Russo hit a double off Dessens that scored Swisher and Cervelli.
- The Mets scored their only run in the ninth inning off Mariano Rivera.
- Jason Bay and Ike Davis hit back-to-back doubles.
- The Mets put Luis Castillo in a pinch runner for Davis with David Wright at the plate.
- Mo got Wright to groundout to end the game.
- Yankees win.
Who would have guessed that a game with Vazquez and Takahashi as the starters would end up being a pitcher's duel?
2010 was weird.