Hot take alert, hot take alert! TV advertising has gotten really bad. Pathetically bad in some cases. The dude in the McDonald's sirloin burger spots is unbearable. Could not be more unlikable. And why Scion still rolls with the hamsters is beyond me. The hamsters are the engineers designing the new car in the latest commercial. Am I supposed to want to buy a Scion more because I know it was designed, built, and tested by animated, anthropomorphic hamsters? Is that the implication? How is that supposed to inspire a purchasing decision? If I wasn't so addicted to television, I'd stop watching. Today's TV advertising is surely helping to make our society dumber. Now onto the links! - On Tuesday, Chris Mitchell of FanGraphs used his KATOH projection model to analyze the 1st round draft picks. Worth noting that Kaprielian was the highest-rated pitcher by KATOH.
- On Wednesday, el duque of It Is High... ranted at the Yankees for failing to draft Mo III. Hard to argue with him here. I was shocked they didn't take him in the 3rd round.
- On Thursday, Jason Cohen proposed Jonathan Papelbon as a potential trade target to help the bullpen. It makes a lot more sense than you think.
- Andrew Marchand of ESPN NY discussed the "Bryce Harper to the Yankees" story that's only going to grow as he gets closer to free agency. I'd sign him in a second, no matter the price tag, but that's just me.
- Chad Jennings of LoHud had the highlights from James Kaprielian's introductory call with the media. The more I read about him as a pitcher, the more I like the pick.
- On Friday, Katie Sharp of RAB highlighted Chase Headley's strong performance in "clutch" situations this season. Interesting look at Headley from a positive standpoint in a time when most people are down on him.
- Daniel Burch of The Greedy Pinstripes laid out his plan to cover for the loss of Andrew Miller.
- Christopher Carelli, over at the SNY Yankee blog, talked about Mark Teixeira's resurgence this season and how he did it by sticking to what he said he was going to do.
From the IIATMS team:
- On Monday, Matt walked through how and why a 6-man rotation could work for the Yankees in the short-term.
- On Tuesday, Tamar broke down the Yanks' top 3 draft picks.
- I gave Brett Gardner some of the digital ink he deserves for being one of the best and most under-appreciated players on the Yankees and in the AL this season.
- On Thursday, EJ compared the Yankees to the other top teams in the American League right now and made a very good case for why the Yanks could be the best team in the AL.
- Scott, inspired by the acquisition of Tony Renda, looked at the history of successful short guys in the Majors.
It dawned on me that I haven't played any Queens in a while. That's not right. Not sure how I let that happen. Probably had a part of my brain die from watching too much TV.
Enjoy your weekends, everybody.