15 years ago today, Andy Pettitte pitched a complete game shutout against the Detroit Tigers, but that wasn't the big story of the game. The big story was that the Yankees won the game 8-0, they scored all eight runs in a single inning and they didn't hit a home run. Oh, and that Chris Turner was the starting catcher that day. Remember him?
- P. O'Neill Single to CF (Line Drive)
- B. Williams Triple to CF (Line Drive); O'Neill Scores
- T. Martinez Flyball: LF/Sacrifice Fly (LF-CF); Williams Scores
- S. Spencer Single to LF (Ground Ball thru Short LF)
- S. Brosius Single to LF (Ground Ball thru Short LF); Spencer to 2B
- C. Turner Double to LF (Line Drive to LF Line); Spencer Scores; Brosius to 3B
- J. Vizcaino Reached on E7/Sacrifice Fly; Brosius Scores; Turner to 3B
- C. Knoblauch Single (Ground Ball); Turner Scores; Vizcaino to 2B
- Nelson Cruz replaces Dave Mlicki pitching
- D. Jeter Double (Line Drive to LF-CF); Vizcaino Scores/unER; Knoblauch Scores
- P. O'Neill Single (Ground Ball); Jeter to 3B
- B. Williams Flyball: RF/Sacrifice Fly; Jeter Scores/Team unER
- T. Martinez Wild Pitch; O'Neill to 2B
- T. Martinez Intentional Walk
- S. Spencer Groundout: 3B unassisted/Forceout at 3B; Martinez to 2B
The final tally of that inning: 8 runs, 8 hits, 1 error, 2 LOB.
Pettitte's final line was 9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 R, 2 BB, & 5K.
Chuck Knoblauch and Derek Jeter both finished the game 3-5 - Jeter had two RBI and Knoblauch had one. Tino Martinez and Jose Vizcaino were the only starters without a hit but both got on base and Vizcaino collected an RBI and scored a run thanks to a sac fly and getting on base via an error. Bernie Williams finished with two RBI which brought his season total to 74. Yes, 74 RBI on June 29. Holy moly. He'd finish with career-high 121 that year.
Back to Chris Turner. In 2000, he played in 37 games (started 23) for the Yankees. He had 102 PAs, 89 ABs. He had 21 hits, 21 strikeouts, 10 walks, was hit by a pitch and had two sacrifice hits (bunts, no sac flies).
[Numbers and play by play courtesy of Baseball Reference]