The first of those 2 hits came in the top of the 2nd, when Mark Teixeira homered to lead off the innings against Andrew Heaney. It was his 19th of the year and the only run the Yanks would get. Brett Gardner had the other hit, a 2-out single, the next inning and that was it for the rest of the game. The Yanks drew 2 walks over the final 6 innings against Heaney and the Angel relievers and never advanced a runner to second base.
To his credit, Ivan Nova was pretty solid in his second start back from Tommy John. This one definitely had more of that post-TJS feel than his first start. Nova had to work around 2 on/1 out in the 1st inning and bases loaded in the 2nd to keep Anaheim off the board. He settled in for 3 relatively comfortable innings after that and then just ran out of gas in the 6th. He was only at 72 pitches, but he left fastballs up to Albert Pujols and Erick Aybar to start the inning and they both hit them for solo home runs. A strikeout of David Freese, a double by Matt Joyce, and Nova's night was done. Not a bad outing at all, but he didn't get any help.
- Adam Warren came in for Nova and pitched the rest of the game, working 2.2 scoreless innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts.
- Carlos Beltran injured himself on a swing in the 5th inning and left the game. It was announced as a ribcage injury and he'll be further evaluated today. There's a chance he has to go on the DL, although Beltran said after the game he didn't feel like it was that serious.
- Lot to like from Nova again stuff-wise. Fastball was mid-90s most of the game, curveball was nasty, he racked up 13 swings and misses and 7 strikeouts on the night. In the 1st he struck out Pujols on 3 pitches by blowing a heater by him. That's impressive.
- Chris Young is 0-11 in his last 3 games after having his hitting streak snapped on Saturday. Might be time to drop him out of the 2-spot.
- Yanks have scored 1 run in each of the last 3 games and just 15 total in their last 6. 9 of those 15 came in one game. Good thing those bats get to go back home after today's finale.