Rough weekend of games and an off-day today. Let's catch up on some other stories. - If you hadn't already heard, Greg Bird was named International League Batter of the Week earlier today. He hit .348 with 5 XBH and 10 RBI last week, and his Triple-A slash line is up to .295/.353/.516. Would be fun to see him get a September call up.
- Via Andy Martino, the Yankees are one of a few teams following Chase Utley as he plays in MiL rehab games. Martino named the Cubs, Dodgers, and Yankees are the teams "most likely to pursue" Utley if Philly decides to shop him. Utley has been terrible this year and is clearly in a steep decline. Not sure he's the answer at second, even if he comes at a minimal cost.
- Missed this when it was first announced last week, but Mason Williams had his rehab work shut down and had season-ending shoulder surgery on Friday. That's a bummer.
- Michael Pineda started throwing again last week, reportedly playing catch at 90 feet on Wednesday and Thursday with no issues. I believe he was scheduled to throw off a mound again today, but don't quote me on that.
- MLB.com released its updated top 100 prospects list last week. Of course Aaron Judge and Luis Severino were both on the list, but as of Friday Jorge Mateo has joined them. He just got bumped up to High-A Tampa too, so Mateo is slowly starting to sneak onto the national radar.
- The Yanks play 16 straight games after tonight, so it looks like they're going to use a 6th starter again at some point to give guys extra rest. Tanaka coming out after 80 pitches yesterday was a clear sign that rest is still a high priority. More burden on the bullpen.