It was Jorge Posada Day at The Stadium today. Nice job by the Yankees to not ruin it and snap that horrid 2-game losing streak. Some of you guys in the comments were getting a little panicky again, so I'm hopeful this righting of the ship did a little to calm you down.
It was a damn home run fest in the 1st inning. Francisco Lindor hit a solo shot off of Luis Severino to put the Indians on the board in the top half, and Brett Gardner and Brian McCann each took Danny Salazar yard in the bottom. Gardner's homer came with Jacoby Ellsbury on base, and the Yankees were staked to a 3-1 lead.
They added to that lead with a pair of manufactured runs in the bottom of the second. 2 singles from the bottom of the order set the table, a throwing error by Salazar on an Ellsbury grounder brought in the first run, and a Carlos Beltran sac fly brought in the second.
That was all the offense the Yanks would generate until the 8th inning, and it was all Severino would need. He avoided some trouble in the 3rd and worked around 2 consecutive 2-out walks in the 6th to finish his day with only Lindor's run charged against him. Cleveland managed to push a run across against Dellin Betances in the 8th, but overall the bullpen was solid and nailed the game down in the final 3 innings. Chance for a split tomorrow.
- 2-hit days up (Ellsbury and McCann) and down (Didi and Drew) the lineup today. 13 as a team and every starter had at least 1.
- McCann's 2 hits were his first since Monday. He matched last season's RBI total of 75 with the 1st inning HR. Gardner's homer was his first since July 28th.
- Severino was tough to hit again. Cleveland only got to him for 3 and he's allowed a total of 17 in his 23 innings pitched over 4 starts. He's also struck out 24.
- Adam Warren struck out 2 in a scoreless 7th. His dominant month of August continues.
- The run in the 8th was the first ER given up by Betances since July 7th. You remember that, the second straight game in which he gave up a home run and people started worrying about him? Bet those people feel stupid now.