I'm supposed to be going to an all-weekend party on Saturday. I also might have to be kinda, sorta on call for work this weekend. The whole situation is up in the air, but however it falls I probably won't be watching much Yankee baseball this weekend. That stinks. But oh well, onto the links. - On Monday, Enos Sarris of FanGraphs examined the development of Nathan Eovaldi's splitter and how he's used that to make his fastball a more effective pitch.
- On Tuesday, Mike Axisa of RAB looked for signs of an offensive turnaround within the current slump. We haven't seen any of that turnaround yet, but maybe tonight's the night.
- Harlan Spence of Pinstripe Alley mused on the possibility of the Yankees retiring A-Rod's number when his career is over. I didn't have much interest in seeing Jorge or Andy this year, but I'd make damn sure I was at the A-Rod ceremony.
- On Wednesday, Christopher Carelli of Yankees Unscripted pointed out how the offensive slump is putting added pressure on the depleted rotation.
- Kenny Ducey of BP Bronx wondered if Ivan Nova will be able to pitch well enough down the stretch to cover for the loss of CC Sabathia or if he will become the rotation's new Sabathia. Fair question to ask given Nova's last few outings.
- S.L. Price's big feature piece on Brian Cashman was released online. Lotta cool stories in here going back to Cashman's start with the organization and some fun personal things you never hear or read about him.
- On Thursday, Greg Corcoran of Bronx Basebally Daily recapped the DSL seasons for a slew of young international prospects. Couple of last year's big money signings are included.
- On Friday, Chad Jennings of LoHud reassessed the 40-man roster heading into September expansions.
- El duque of It Is High... looked back at the Yankee team of 10 years ago to see where the organization has progressed (or not) since then.
From the IIATMS team:
- On Monday, I looked at the short and potential long-term effects of CC's latest knee injury.
- On Tuesday, Dom did the unthinkable and wrote something positive about Stephen Drew. He's completely right too. Drew hasn't been nearly as bad recently as his season slash line makes it seem.
- I compared Nathan Eovaldi's first 2 starts to his last 2 starts to show how big of a change he's made to his game this season.
- On Wednesday, William dissected and lamented the Yankees' regression to a predictable, one-dimensional offensive team recently. It's not what you want.
- On Friday, Stacey, Dom, and EJ released the latest edition of the IIATMS Podcast. Definitely give this a listen if you have a slow afternoon lined up. That's while I'll be doing.
Going with some RHCP for this week's Friday jam. I caught the tail end of this song on the radio heading into work this morning and it reminded me how much I like this song. Love that bass line.
Enjoy your weekends, everybody.