Long week, busy week. Probably had to work harder at my real job this week than I ever have since I started this job. And I really don't even think I'm doing the job all that well, although I have all but mastered the art of talking too much to make up for the fact that I have no clue what I'm doing/talking about. Sometimes it takes a massive effort just to reach the ground floor of satisfactory. Now I know what Stephen Drew's 2015 season feels like. Onto the links. - On Tuesday, el duque of It Is High... used Nathan Eovaldi's elbow injury as a way to reignite the discussion on shortening the MLB season.
- On Wednesday, Mike Axisa of RAB discussed CC Sabathia becoming a much more important piece of the Yankee puzzle down the stretch, for better or for worse.
- Greg Corcoran of Bronx Baseball Daily recapped the season for the newly formed Pulaski Yankees. There's a few interesting arms in that group.
- Nick Ashbourne of BP Bronx pointed out the statistical similarities between Mark Teixeira and Greg Bird and the similarities in approach and hitting style that they spoke to. Very interesting way to look at a smaller sample size.
- Chris Mitchell of FanGraphs gave firsthand scouting reports of Yankee pitching prospects James Kaprielian and Jeff Degano. It includes a lot of videos.
- On Thursday, Scott Davis of Pinstripe Alley wondered if Ivan Nova could be better used as a reliever. If Eovaldi hadn't gone on the DL, I think this is something the team might have experimented with.
- SG of RLYW looked at the potential scenarios for this Toronto series and how they influenced the projections for the rest of the season. Obviously a critical series for the Yanks as far as division title chances go.
- On Friday, Chad Jennings reset the pecking order in the now plenty full Yankee bullpen.
- David Schoenfield of ESPN's SweetSpot listed the 10 most important storylines heading into the final weeks of the regular season.
From the IIATMS team:
- On Wednesday, Wiliam touched on all the reasons why Masahiro Tanaka is still the ace of the Yankees' staff.
- On Thursday, Stacey went back and broke down the big CC Sabathia-Manny Machado at-bat from that game. That was the best CC has looked all season.
- On Friday, Stacey and EJ released the latest edition of the IIATMS Podcast.
- And this last one isn't baseball-related, but it is 9/11 and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that somewhere here because it does have personal meaning for my family and I. If you haven't been reading me since my AB4AR days, my uncle is a former New York City cop and he was literally one of the first first responders on the scene after the first plane hit that day. He was lucky enough to survive and I wrote this post about him and about that day on the 10-year anniversary. I go back and read it every year and I just felt like it was the right thing to do to share it again today.
I haven't played any Foo Fighters in a while and this song seems extra apropos for today.
Enjoy your weekends, everybody.