Final off-day of the regular season yesterday. It's 17 in 17 from tonight on out and there's going to be some real juice to this weekend Subway Series. Should be fun to watch. - The Yankees will send Tanaka, Pineda, and Sabathia to the hill this weekend, with Joe non-committal on pitching Tanaka on normal rest again next Wednesday against the Blue Jays. Given the state of the rotation and the potential divisional effect of winning that series, it should be a no-brainer.
- Assistant GM Billy Eppler has started his interview rounds for open GM positions. Via George King, he met with the Mariners in Chicago on Wednesday after talking to the Angels on Monday. I don't see any way he comes out of this offseason without a GM job somewhere. He's been real close the last few years. Good for him.
- The 2015 MiL season officially came to an end for the Yankee organization on Tuesday night when SS Staten Island lost the Penn League Championship Series in 2 games. Triple-A SWB and and Rookie League Pulaski were bounced in their first round of their respective postseason series.
- The highlight of the game, and really the last few weeks of the SS Staten Island season, was 2015 1st rounder James Kaprielian. He tossed 6.1 shutout innings with 6 strikeouts in a ND cause, this coming after he threw 6 1-run innings with 4 strikeouts and no walks in the first round series. He looks like he'll be ready for a full season next year.
- How's this for a "sample sizes be damned" stat: Greg Bird is 2nd in MLB in average batted ball velocity this season at 95.5 MPH. First? Giancarlo Stanton at 97.7. That's courtesy of IIATMS alum Katie Sharp.
- Here's a less impressive one: Dellin Betances has faced 21 batters over his last 4 appearances. Of those 21 batters, 15 of them did not put the ball in play (9 strikeouts, 6 walks).
- Remember that post I wrote a little while back about Dustin Ackley being the most important September call up? It looks like it's finally happening. Ackley has gotten pretty consistent playing time over the last week and change and he's been used all over the field: left field, first base, second base, and as a pinch hitter. He's 6-17 in his last 8 games with 2 XBH, 2 R, and 3 RBI. That'll get you more PT when your team is searching for some offensive consistency.