It's a slow, rainy Wednesday here in the NYC area so I figured I'd post a news and notes entry. But before I get to it, I have to ask: Did you watch the game last night? I went to bed in the ninth inning and when I woke up this morning, I couldn't believe that the Mets lost, and that it went to 14 innings. I was also disappointed because I apparently missed Alex Rodriguez in the booth during extra innings. Damn you, baseball Gods! And damn my body for being old and tired!
Anyway, here are some baseball articles involving the Yankees, both current and former, and various stories from around baseball.
- The Yankees tried to hire former Red Sox GM Ben Cherington. Joel Sherman reports that Brian Cashman reached out to Cherington directly after the Red Sox named Dave Dombrokwski their new GM.
- It looks like Derek Jeter is finally getting hitched. Congrats to him and Hannah Davis, the soon-to-be Mrs. Jeter. I hope they make lots of beautiful babies together.
- Don Mattingly and the Florida Marlins are close to a deal. Mattingly, who recently departed Los Angeles after the Dodgers lost to the Mets in five games in the division series, is reportedly close to Marlins' owner Jeffrey Loria. Should be interesting to see how that turns out.
- Here's a silly article from the New York Times that pits the Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creatures against Citi Field's 7 Line Army. What's with the New York Times lately? Geez.
- And finally, a must read by Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus on Baseball and losing a father.
We apologize for the lull in posts between yesterday and today. We are working on some stuff behind the scenes that we hope to publish later this week and/or early next week.
Enjoy your evening!