The offseason still has that fresh new offseason smell to it, but it's already been an active one for the Yankees as far as the roster is concerned. Here's a quick catchup on yesterday's happenings and a look ahead to what's in store for the rest of the week. - Free agency kicked in at 9 AM yesterday, so Chris Young, Stephen Drew, and Chris Capuano are all no longer Yankees. I think there's a decent chance the Yanks bring Young back if he's willing to do another 1-year deal, a miniscule chance they bring Drew back if somebody gets hurt in the offseason or early ST, and negative infinity percent chance they bring back Cap.
- In addition to those 3 opened roster spots, the Yanks cleared 2 more by activating right-handers Sergio Santos and Diego Moreno off the 60-day DL and outrighting them to Triple-A SWB. Santos refused the assignment and elected free agency. I believe Moreno will become a MiL free agent this offseason. Neither will be missed.
- Same deal for Chris Martin, who was released yesterday according to the MLB.com transactions page. I didn't see much coverage on this from anybody else minus a tweet from Greedy Pinstripes, but I'd like to think MLB.com is a pretty reliable source.
- Those 6 coming off yesterday and Rico Noel being outrighted to SWB earlier leaves the Yankees with 33 players on the 40-man roster. They'll take up a few of those open spots when the rest of the 60-day DL crew (Domingo German, Mason Williams, Jacob Lindgren, Chase Whitley) gets activated this week, so expect a few more cuts in the future.
- One of them could get started today, as it is the deadline for teams to decide on contract options. The Yankees hold two $2 million team options, on Andrew Bailey and Brendan Ryan, and I imagine they will decline both. Ryan has a $1 mil player option that he will surely exercise and Bailey stays under team control anyway as an arb-eligible guy, but I could see the Yankees non-tendering him.
- The next big deadline is Friday, when teams have to make decisions on qualifying offers. As I've already discussed, the Yankees are not going to be affected by the QO process this year. Teams also have to activate their 60-day DL players by Friday, so we'll see what the Yanks do with their remaining 4.
- Friday also marks the start of MiL free agency and the 5-day exclusive negotiating window for MLB free agents ends on Saturday, which will lead into the GM meetings next Monday and Tuesday in Florida. Plenty of roster decision work for the Yankee FO to do until then, let's see how it goes down.