Last night was the deadline for arbitration-eligible players to file, and as expected all eligible players on the Yankees did so. Thanks to the recent acquisition of Aroldis Chapman, the Yanks are up to 6 arb-eligible guys. Here's the complete list with salary predictions courtesy of MLBTR:
- Chapman- $12.9 million (3rd year of eligibility)
- Ivan Nova- $4.4 million (3rd year)
- Nathan Eovaldi- $5.7 million (2nd year)
- Michael Pineda- $4.6 million (2nd year)
- Dustin Ackley- $3.1 million (2nd year)
- Didi Gregorius- $2.1 million (1st year as a Super 2)
There's no doubt that the Yankees will come to terms with all of these guys in the weeks to come. What will be interesting to see is whether they go the extra step and try to sign anybody to an extension. They've got some worthy candidates in Pineda and Eovaldi, and I could see them working something out with Didi. It would probably save them a few bucks compared to letting him go year-to-year for the next 3 years, especially if he continues to improve offensively.
I'm sure there have already been discussions about that and every other possibility with all 6 of these guys. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks and see if the front office gives any kind of indication of where they're leaning with some of the extension-worthy guys.