John Sickels recently posted his first top-100 prospects list with 2016 draftees included. The Yankees had a bunch of players make the list:
- #16 Gleyber Torres (ranked #45 last season)
- #26 Clint Frazier (ranked #29 last season)
- #46 Blake Rutherford (2016 draftee)
- #53 Aaron Judge (ranked #81 last season)
- #54 Domingo Acevedo (ranked #88 last season)
- #57 Jorge Mateo (ranked #68 last season)
- #62 Justus Sheffield (ranked #76 last season)
- Honorable Mention: Dillon Tate (seriously, not even a mention for Kaprielian?)
Not bad! I value Sickels' opinion, largely because he doesn't seem to herd toward the consensus opinion. The biggest news here is Blake Rutherford. He ranks him the #1 prospect in the 2016 draft, one spot above #1 overall pick Mickey Moniak and way ahead of top college hitters Kyle Lewis and Nick Senzel. This follows Keith Law ranking him similarly in a chat last week (can't find the link).
Think about that for a second: if the draft were held today, Sickels would project the Yankees to draft the #1 pick. Heck yeah! The Yankees have needed a break in the first round for awhile now, and they may have finally gotten it. Rutherford has some distance to go before the reaching the majors, so anything can happen, but this is very good news.