Gotta play a little catchup on stories we missed last week while we were prospecting. Here goes…
– Baseball America released their 2016 top prospects yesterday, and like most major lists before theirs they featured Aaron Judge, Jorge Mateo, and Gary Sanchez as the Yankee representatives. Unlike most other lists, however, they had Mateo as the highest ranked Yankee (26th) and Judge as the lowest (76th), with Sanchez getting his highest ranking that I can recall seeing at 36. Maybe BA is more concerned about those Triple-A strikeouts than the rest of us.
– As first reported by Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees and Aroldis Chapman agreed to terms on a 1-year deal on Friday, scrapping plans to head to an arbitration hearing next Friday. They met just slightly above the middle of their submitted figures at $11.325 million, and the Yankees now have all their players under contract for this season.
– Via Mark Feinsand, CC Sabathia is feeling good physically heading into this spring training and is ahead of his usual pitching schedule. Sabathia hasn’t thrown off a mound until camp the last few years, but he told Feinsand he’s been throwing bullpens for the last 3 weeks. I’m not foolish enough to buy back into CC as an above-average starter, but I will say that if he’s feeling good enough physically to be throwing bullpens already and feeling better mentally after his stint in rehab, those are both good things.
– Lane Adams, recently acquired and then designated for assignment when the team reacquired Ronald Torreyes, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A SWB. He was also invited to big league camp, giving the Yankees 26 non-roster players in ST.
– And perhaps the coolest news of the week, the Yankees announced plans for a big weekend in August to honor both the 1996 championship team and Mariano Rivera. There will be a ceremony celebrating the ’96 team’s 20th anniversary on Saturday, August 13th and a ceremony the following Sunday to dedicate a plaque to Rivera in Monument Park. You have to think all the big names from ’96 will be back for that, which is going to be must-see. Start saving your extra nickels now if you want to go to either of those games. Those tickets aren’t going to come cheap, folks. Continue reading Sunday News And Notes: 2/14/16