Even though the game I’m about to tell you about was five years ago tonight, I had no recollection of it at all.
Getting old is fun!
Here are the facts:
- It was the Friday night game of the Citi Field portion of the 2010 Subway Series.
- The starters were Javier Vazquez and Hisanori Takahashi.
- Vazquez lasted six innings, gave up only one hit, walked two and struck out six.
- Takahashi also pitched six innings. He gave up five hits, walked one and struck out five.
- The scoring didn’t start until the starters left the game.
- The Yankees scored their two runs in the top of the seventh against Elmer Dessens.
- Nick Swisher started the inning with a single.
- Francisco Cervelli reached base on a throwing error and advanced to second while Swisher advanced to third on the play.
- Kevin Russo hit a double off Dessens that scored Swisher and Cervelli.
- The Mets scored their only run in the ninth inning off Mariano Rivera.