- Hiroki Kuroda was wonderful. Pitching on short rest for the first time in his MLB career, Kuroda gave the Yankees 7.2 innings and limited Detroit to five hits and three runs, two of which scored after he exited the game. He struck out 11 Tigers in that span without a single walk issued, and didn’t allow a single base runner until the sixth inning. Just an incredible effort from Hiroki today, and it’s more or less a crim against all that is holy that his offense let him down again.
- Cody Eppley got four outs while allowing just one hit and getting two strikeouts, including striking out Delmon Young to leave the bases loaded in the eighth inning.
- Alex Rodriguez got a hit (1-4 with two strikeouts), and the offense still didn’t score a single run.
- Robinson Cano went 0-4.
- Nick Swisher went a combined 1-6 with a walk and five strikeouts.
- Ichiro Suzuki and Russell Martin both went 0-4 as well, but they get passes today because they’ve actually been carrying their weight for the rest of the playoffs.