(I do realize that this post would have been more appropriate if today was 11/11/11 but I wasn’t writing for this site at the time. Oh well.)
Here are 11 facts about #11:
- Herb Pennock was the first to wear #11 in 1929.
- Lefty Gomez was the first player to wear it for multiple years and the longest tenured #11: 1932-1942.
- From 2000-2008 nine players/coaches wore #11: Chuck Knoblauch, Chris Widger, David Dellucci, Curtis Pride, Erick Almonte, Gary Sheffield, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mitch Seone (coach), and Morgan Ensberg.
- Brett Gardner is the longest tenure #11 since Chuck Knoblauch who wore it from 1998-2002ish.
- Buck Showlater wore it when he was a coach and manager.
- Sheffield, Gomez, Joe Page and Johnny Sain are the only 11’s to be All-Stars.
- Seone, Showalter, Jeff Torborg and Gene Michael are the coaches/managers who wore #11.
- Sandy Alomar and Fred Stanley shared the number during the 1974 season then Stanley wore it from 1975-1980.